Monday, December 17, 2012

We Interrput this Blog to Bring you an Important Holiday Announcement!

Zack and I finally first started in October of 2009. When Christmas rolled around, I didn’t feel comfortable exchanging gifts when we weren’t settled as a couple yet, and he agreed, so we decided not to. As we were talking about our how we usually spent the holidays I told Zack about a tradition we had in my family. Every year for Christmas my grandma or stepmom buy all of the children a Christmas ornament. This was always one of my favorite parts of the holidays, I always loved opening up the ornament and hanging it on the tree. I mentioned this tradition to Zack, but promptly forgot about it in the bliss of new coupledom. But Zack didn't forget and he decided to get us a "joint gift." So he bought a gorgeous personalized ornament that he had engraved.

The beautiful ornament.
The caption reads, "I'll love you always Megan. The first of many. Love, Zach" Yes, they spelled his name wrong.
Since then, we decided to borrow this tradition... which makes me way too excited! The next year we got a cute little penguin ornament, because we have an odd obsession with penguins.

This was actually on top of on of my gifts that year.
Last year we got a cute little Shetland Sheepdog ornament for our furbaby Myra. Unfortunately her ornament had a bit of an accident this year, oops!  
What happened to my ornament Daddy?
Still looks great!
This year, we wanted to find an ornament to commemorate our engagement, but everything I found was, well… cheesy.

I mean, really?! Image via ornamentplus.com.
We decided rather than relying on someone else to make something for us, we would make something perfect all on our own! After one long trip to Joanne fabrics, we came home with this haul.

The shell of our ornament, a pocket watch.

Some really cool gears.
Using some brackets we plugged the holes in all the gears so that none of the hot glue we were using to hold it together would show through. 
Said brackets.

The components for the "ring."
Next, we glued the gears into the back of the faux pocket watch. As I did this, Zack made us a very cute fake engagement ring.

Working hard on the ring.

Showing off my new fake (and real!) sparkle.
Finishing touches.
 We glued this on top of the gears, pressed the top back on, and voila, our very own steampunk engagement ornament!



All finished and hung on the tree!
And almost three weeks later we finally got the tree set up and decorated! 
 
Myra posing in front of the tree.
Cinnamon roll break! Wondering what the heck steampunk is? Stay tuned!

 
* All photos personal unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment